Monday, February 27, 2012

Good News for Lovers of the New


Not too long ago, I read an article in The New York Times about the benefits of neophilia.  Don’t worry, I’m not going to be sing the praises of some satanic practice.  Neophilia is just an exuberance for novelty.
            According to the article, experts used to think that novelty seekers were at risk for alcoholism, drug abuse, compulsive gambling and other problems. But now – surprise, surprise -- experts say neophilia is a good thing as long as it’s combined with persistence and awareness of others. As an expert quoted in the article said, “Novelty-seeking is one of the traits that keeps you healthy and happy and fosters personality growth as you age.”
            Positioned as it was on the front page of the science section, the article made this discovery seem like a big deal.  But personally, I wasn’t impressed. Even though I had never heard of neophilia before, I still knew exactly what they were talking about. Or should I say, who.
            My dad.
            At 88, my father is definitely a neophile. But other than a craving for chocolate chip cookies and Oreos, which he tries to keep in check, Joe has managed to steer clear of all those other risky behaviors and has lived a very healthy and happy life.
            When my father retired from his dental practice 23 years ago, he and my step-mother, Rhoda, started a business, renting apartments and villas in the south of France. Just last year, they reinvented their business as a full-service travel agency, and in May, Rhoda will be leading their first women’s only luxury trip to Italy.  
            Meanwhile Joe has been spending hours at his computer, working on the spreadsheets for expenses and promoting the tour with colorful emails and e-flyers.   Of course, computer skills are nothing new for my dad, who owned the first Apple in our family.  However, he did have to learn a new software program this year, a challenge that he took on with his usual zeal. Naturally, he’s also on Facebook,and he's a follower of my blog. 
            I guess my dad’s just embracing the new like all neophiles do.  Maybe that trait is what has helped keep him healthy and happy as he’s aged.  I just hope that with 54 days to go before I turn 60, I’ve got some of his neophilia in my genes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment