Sunday, April 29, 2012

Blogging Again ... From the Far Side of 60


            You’d probably be surprised at how long  I can sit on the proverbial fence. In fact, I’ve gotten so good at balancing there that I’ve begun to think the fence is quite a comfortable spot to perch. Certainly, you can’t beat the view of both sides below.
            Okay, maybe you think l'm just indecisive.  And I’ve got to agree you’ve got a good point. Though on the other hand …or are we up to the third hand yet?
            So why am I talking about indecision?
            As you might have heard, I turned 60 last week.  Right on schedule, exactly 60 years after I was born, a mere 60 days after I started this blog.  For those on the other side of 60, rest assured that it feels a lot like 59. Or 29, for that matter.  
            I spent the week trying to decide on a new name for this blog. Many of you sent in suggestions, and I thank you all for your creativity, effort and thoughtfulness. I liked the names, really I did. But I couldn’t decide which, if any, to use. Quite honestly, none of them seemed quite as catchy as “60 days to 60.” But as much as I like that title, I think it has outlived its usefulness.
            Since I couldn’t decide on a new name, I ended up doing nothing blog-related at all. Which really wasn’t terrible.
            Life went on. I went to work. I even dragged myself to the gym (in spite of my wrist accessory; the latest model of which is a removable splint). I tended to a husband with a very bad cold (a subject for another day). And yes, I found time to play a few extra games of Words with Friends.
            But by the end of the week, I felt a little aimless and out of sorts. Like I needed something more, something more fulfilling to do. I found myself thinking about the posts I hadn’t got around to writing … about husbands with head colds … or the medal my grandfather won for a short story in 1914 … or looking for work after 60.
            I signed onto my blog a few times, and I noticed, somewhat guiltily, that many of you had been on it, too. So even though I couldn't decide on a name, I did decide on this: I want to keep on blogging.
            I’ve got a very dear friend who’s as indecisive as I am.  She had a tough time deciding to tie the knot to the very wonderful man she ended up marrying because they had unresolved issues. So how did she make the plunge? Well, eventually she came to the conclusion that they’d always have issues, but that they were committed to working on them together.
            So I’m back to blogging.  No name yet.  But we’ll work on that together, won’t we?
            Here are some of the suggestions you sent in.  Let me know if you think there’s a winner among them.
            1.  And then some
            2.  Beyond 60: The Best is Yet to Come
            3.  The Next 60
            4.  The Second 60
            5.  To 120
            6.  From the Far Side of 60
            7.  60 with a hint of meatballs
            8. And now what?

No comments:

Post a Comment