Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Gift of 60



            After 54 days of this blogging business (yes, only 6 days left to 60!), I’ve got a confession that might surprise you. You ready? Here goes: I don’t have what you’d call a straight-forward and unambiguous relationship with the truth.
            No, I really am turning 60 and not 59 or 39.  And yes, I really did break my wrist and get those flat tires and throw away my husband’s favorite Adirondack twig chair and dispose of a dead mouse.  Every word of every post I’ve written has been the truth. And yet, in a sense, they’ve also been based on a lie. Because as much as I’ve been blogging and obsessing about turning 60, I really fine with it.
            I’m sorry, but did you think I was, maybe, just a tad depressed? Perhaps a little sad about these wrinkles? Distressed that I’m 10 years closer to 80 than 30?
            Well, I hate to disillusion you, but I’m really not upset at all.
            As I write this, a dear friend is dying, a few months shy of her 60th birthday.  I just heard of the untimely death of a father of young children at my school.  And I saw a notice in my school inbox about a Mishnah study session in memory of a second young father who died over the summer. 
            These three tragedies remind me of my own mother, who died 43 years ago. She was 45, which at the time didn’t seem all that young to me.  At my sederim last week, I realized mom would have been closer in age to her 33-year-old grandson than her children.  There were so many of us she never lived to meet – a son- and daughter-in-law, six grandchildren, and a great-grandson. I wasn’t thinking so much of missing her – though even now, there is that, too – but of all the years and simchas  and joys she missed out on.
            All of which is why in spite of my blog – or maybe because of it – I’ve come to realize that 60 is nothing to bemoan, but a gift that I intend to enjoy.       


No comments:

Post a Comment